Daily opening hours
The Crime Victims Helpline is currently piloting web chat. We don’t have set hours yet, but we aim to be online every Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 1-4pm. If the webchat service is offline, please feel free to send a message through our website, text us on 085 133 7711 or call us for free on 116006.
Tips for using web chat
- Take your time and remember that it can take longer to type than speak. Wait for a response from something you have typed before adding more.
- Currently the only language available is English. If you require translation services, please call us for free on 116006.
- Never send personal information via the web chat. When making a referral for local support services we may ask you to provide us the county which you reside in, which will enable us to send you the correct information.
- Don’t disclose any identifiable information about yourself or others.
- Do not link to offensive or sexually explicit sites.
- Do not advertise or promote services.
- Do not pretend to be someone else.
- The service is for people in the Republic of Ireland or who have been impacted by a crime that occurred in the Republic of Ireland.
- If you are aged under 18, let us know so we can provide you with information about services that specifically provide help to people under the age of 18.
- If you violate the above conditions, we may end the chat session and you may be blocked from using chat. Users of web chat are also subject to the Crime Victims Helpline Abusive Service User Policy.
- If we are made aware of any child protection concerns, we have a duty to report these to Túsla and/or the Gardaí.
- If you express an intent to harm yourself or others and we have reason to believe there is imminent danger, we will contact the appropriate services or authorities.
- In order to protect your confidentiality and anonymity, records of the chat session will not be available to you once the chat window has been closed. Any information that you would like to retain after the chat should be screenshot, “copy and pasted” or written down.